Studying in Estonia for up to 1 year

Up to 1 year foreigners may study in Estonia based on a long-stay (D-type) visa.

A long-stay visa must be applied for in person at an Estonian representations or at the Police and Border Guard Board (PPA) in Estonia.

Estonian representations which are handling visa applications:

Documents required for applying:

  • Completed and signed application form for long-stay visa
  • one colour photo with measures 40x50mm mm
  • valid travel document of the applicant
  • a valid health insurance policy guaranteeing that any costs related to the applicant's medical treatment as a result of illness or injury during the period of validity of the visa applied for shall be met, unless otherwise provided by law or treaty;
  • documents evidencing the purpose and cause for stay
  • documents evidencing the existence of sufficient funds during the period of stay in Estonia;
  • documents evidencing the payment of costs for accommodation and stay during the period of stay in Estonia
  • a Document evidencing the payment of state fee (80 EUR with the exception of citizens Ukraina and Belarusia)

Studying for longer than 1 year in Estonia

In accordance with Aliens Act a temporary residence permit for studying may be issued.

For submitting an application, a foreigner must address in person a foreign representation of the Republic of Estonia.  A foreigner who has a legal basis for staying in Estonia, may submit the application at the service of the Police and Border Guard Board. For submitting the application in the Service Office a reservation needs to be made (via phone 612 300 or ).

Temporary residence permit for studying may be issued to a foreigner with a period of validity until the end of the nominal study period but for no longer than 5 years.

Required documents:       

The educational institution or student organisation can submit the invitation by educational institution or student organisation to the Police and Border Guard Board by e-mail ( or by post (Pärnu mnt. 139, 15060 Tallinn).

After submitting the documents at Estonian foreign representation they will be sent to the Police and Border Guard Board where the permit shall be decided within 2 months from the acceptance of the application or elimination of the deficiencies.

In case of granting a residence permit, a residence card shall be issued to the foreigner within 30 days at the foreign representation of the Republic of Estonia or at the Service Office stated on the application form. Arrival of the residence card in a foreign representation may take more time.

If a foreigner marked the place of issue Estonian Police and Border Guard Board service and  gets the e-mail messager with subject: elamisloakaardi väljastamine, then it is time to go and pick the Document up from the place of issue.


General requirements for temporary residence permit have to be fulfilled throughout the entire validity period of the permit:

  1. The purpose of application for the Estonian temporary residence permit is justified. Temproary residence permit for studying is for studying in Estonia full time at a specific educational institution.
  2. The actual place of residence is in Estonia. Within 1 months after the residence permit was granted a foreigner is obliged to register place of residence at population register (if the permit was collected abroad, within 1 months after arrival to Estonia).
  3. Sufficient legal income which would enable a foreigner (and the family members of a foreigner) the subsistence in Estonia. A foreigner needs to have legal income entire validity periood .
  4. Medical expenses insurance contract
    • Private insurance or national one arising from Health Insurance Act

All the general requrements have to be fulfilled! If at least one of them is not it gives a base to revoke the permit.


Inviting family to settle with the student

A student is allowed to invite a spouse and minor children to Estonia. In that case student has obligations of a sponsor (an inviter):

 (1) A sponsor is required to verify if a foreigner who has been invited to Estonia by sponsor has a legal basis for the stay in Estonia.

 (2) A sponsor is required to host a foreigner in Estonia, guarantee his or her accommodation and bear the costs of the stay of a foreigner in Estonia and of his or her departure from Estonia.

When inviting family student has obligations of a sponsor. Family members may apply for the same status as the student applies for. The applications may be submitted together. Status for family members can be with the same length as student's status is.

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact migration advisers or via phone (+372) 612 3500 from Monday till Friday 9AM- 3PM (Estonian time).